Our industry has seen revolutionary changes before, such as the development of on-board diagnostics in the 1980's. ASCCA was instrumental then in ensuring that the independent shop would have the same ability as the dealer to access and use OBD systems. With the advent of telematics we need to preserve that ability. Your voice, as part of our membership, will help ASCCA to make this technology change a positive one for your business.
Modern Vehicles Come Equipped with On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
These Cars are Permanently Online while on the Road
Data that your car broadcasts includes:
● Driver behavior, which includes your speed of travel.
● Travel destination and how many occupants are in the vehicle.
● Repair, maintenance, and diagnostic information.
● Consumers' personal profile (music, photos, personal spending, etc.)
Telematics is helpful but there are also some concerns:
● Does the consumer have a say in who receives data from their vehicle?
● Does the consumer have a choice about where to take their car for maintenance and repairs?
● Can an independent shop effectively access and use the information needed to repair customer vehicles?
● Does the consumer know their car is broadcasting & reporting to others?
For more information about telematics please visit the following links: